History of 8004 Sunset Blvd
During the mid 1930s and mid 1940s, this property had three club incarnations just across the way from Simon's Drive in: It was originally CLUB BALI from 1935 until 1941 owned by Ickie Outhwaite which was fined and raided for providing illegal gambling and slot machines. Then it became CLUB SOCIETY (which was forced to close after getting caught serving liquor after 2am) and finally The THREE STAR CLUB.
Harold "Hooky" Rothman, also known as Harry Rothman, was a Jewish mobster and mob enforcer who was the right-hand man of Los Angeles kingpin Mickey Cohen during "The Battle of Sunset Strip" for the control of illegal activities in Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
In the 1950s and early 1960s 8804 Sunset Blvd was another mens clothing store called MAN ABOUT TOWN & and then a wig shop called THE HARUM. Notice that the ad for MAN ABOUT TOWN mentions they were one block away from the Jerry Lewis Restaurant (which later became the Classic Cat Strip Club, University Stereo, and Tower Video. That building hung on until it was was demolished in 2014 for a new Chase Bank building).
Today it’s the IAC Building, which kinda looks like a giant Chia Pet.